Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

The Hero’s Journey as it relates to inherent psychological drives

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone,

I’m writing an essay on The Hero’s Journey and I want to make the following claim:

“Campbell argued that the ubiquitous presence of the hero’s journey in myths and stories from all over the world suggests the existence of deep inherent needs within the human psyche. The hero’s journey is an unconscious expression of those needs and desires, which is why you see it appear time and time again in various cultures from all over the world. The implication being that we all, whether consciously or unconsciously, have a deep yearning to embark on our own journeys and see them through to completion.”

I’ve heard this said before, but for the life of me, I cannot find a reference that directly corroborates this claim. Can anybody point me towards a passage where Campbell says this (or something similar)? Thank you!

From A Joseph Campbell Companion:

The goal of the hero’s journey
    is yourself, finding yourself.”

From Pathways to Bliss

The hero journey is one of the universal patterns through which that radiance shows brightly. What I think is that a good life is one hero journey after another. Over and over again, you are called to the realm of adventure, you are called to new horizons. Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There’s always the possibility of a fiasco.

But there’s also the possibility of bliss.”

And briefly, from The Hero with a Thousand Faces,

The modern hero-deed must be that of questing to bring to light again the lost Atlantis of the co-ordinated soul.”

Just a quick hit-and-run post, tossing a few nuggets out there. I’ll dive a little deeper as time allows . . .

Benjamin,

I’m curious if my earlier answer from November 5 helped? Of course, those brief quotes don’t cover everything  you bring up in the summary of your argument, though I’d suggest pointing to The Hero with a Thousand Faces, which makes exactly that case over the whole length of the book – your summary captures the theme of that work.

Of course, you have likely completed the essay by now, so this might be moot. I do hope all went well.

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your insight. For whatever reason, I missed the email that notified me someone had replied to the topic! I did a little more digging and found what I needed, but had I seen your reply, this would have been very helpful indeed.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Ben

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Exploring Your Personal Mythology’ is closed to new topics and replies.