Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: The Boundary-Blurring Nature of Myth,” with Bradley Olson, Ph.D.”

Thank you very much for this clip James! Yes! THIS succinctly rounds up the spirit of Joseph Campbell and what I remember the most when first seeing The Power of Myth and reading Joseph Campbell.
And it’s certainly not easy, as times, perceptions and definitions change and keep changing. I think Campbell already knew that it was becoming and more and more challenging for any and every individual to navigate the world inner/outer journeys.
Speaking of definitions, I know it’s weeks past but feel I owe Bradley an apology because he is absolutely right about disillusionment…it is detached. So that would be the opposite of
blurred.
   Think I was overreaching and stretching for a metaphor, which did not fit. Maybe was thinking more in terms of how some people could become disillusioned with a system…

(yes certainly that happens with religion)

but also thinking how people might become disillusioned with The system as well, but they would not necessarily become wild and wooly at the frayed-end of the woods. Attempting irony but I need more practice! *laugh*

Just saying that even if a disillusioned person did not shock us, they still might surprise us, especially if we had not had the same experiences in life, which led to their detachment.
I guess disillusionment might be the place where cracks show rather than blurred lines.
Except I am NOW thinking that detachment has no deep investment and being detached almost conjures an image of Siddartha. I was originally thinking of that detachment as being a lack of investment in certain trust and belief of what others might take for granted even in secular systems.
Maybe the disillusioned  were metaphorically  “burnt too many times,” or the modern equivalent of “broken treaties?” But not disillusioned enough to start believing in big foot (haha.) 
But I may have been thinking more of cynicism than disillusionment? But Bradley did such an excellent job of clarifying the detachment element, I realized how muddled my thoughts were…so my apologies. It was the thought even a reg Joe disillusioned person might make us pause and wonder what brought about their disillusionment? Maybe some of the other conversations here brought this to mind?
But I muddied the waters, because was not completely clear in my own mind about it…so apologies.
The funny thing is as I write this it occurs to me that we all at times have become disillusioned with the system.

But then we go on…as Campbell says saying “yes,” to all of it and participating in it. *grin*

So it begins to feel like a moot point now…I think. Hee hee.

I love Bradley’s take on “irony.” There is a beautiful, healthy and humorous detachment in that…yet irony can blur lines too…I think.

Now Campbell might disagree but I secretly think that individual spirit is universal world over…not just born out of one region…maybe it’s not as obvious but swear I can see glimmers of it in other cultures…well balanced with community traditions and stories of course but I think it’s still there flickering within.

But the irony to me is that now there are sooo many narcissistic types in the world the definition of that kind of journey has both negative as well as positive connotations in our modern culture (Even in spite of reluctant adventurers) and small collective adventurers.

So you definitely have to feel for All today just trying to make their way in life!
Though I must say there is something so beautiful and peaceful about being in nature when one is blessed or lucky to have or find that…and then there is the fine loud unspoken writing: thunder! Wind! Lightning! Storms! Bears and Bugs! And snakes! And downpours!
Oh the irony! But if it isn’t a flood one can always imagine “dancing in the rain!”