Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Living Myths for Transformation,” with futurist Kristina Dryža”

”we live with the past never in it. It accompanies us as an echoing lingering memory”-Kristina 

Yes that is it!
That “stewing in regret” letting it be or go (mostly ha ha) that is getting better but it’s still a work in progress!

It most definitely can be a muddy eddy and whirlpool where one becomes literally stuck.

But I like to remind myself, the past is not just filled with regrets. There are also other stories there. Other memories there. Beautiful, poignant, exciting, quiet, unforgettable.

And those are stories I can carry forward with me into the present…just as other myths and stories have been carried throughout time.
If I obsess on All the pain then what room do I leave for those other stories in my life? Or room to add new stories and adventures?
There is a reason the Joyful is emphasized in the sorrows of the world.
How could I ever say no in a million years to the memories I shared with my family and friends and others I have loved? Or the other memories I have found in solitude that is not quite singular when a deer eyes me from my yard? (Smile.)

It’s taken me a long time but I’ve begun to look at “scars” in grief no longer as unhealed wounds, but “proof of love.” And that’s not easy. But I would worry if I did not have those scars.
It’s hard to be a witness to suffering. I know what it was like for me and can only imagine for other people whether personal or universal.
But is not that very ache compassion itself? It turns one outside of oneself but also within because of a connection or life force awareness shared?
And sometimes *sigh* there are not always easy resolutions.
But I love Tolkien’s quote about love and grief mingled in all the lands. About the love being stronger.
And I love the expansive way you have approached this subject of suffering.
You approach it from a view of observation and awareness also tying into all those myths, which have accompanied us through the ages.
I think the sad part is in the past certain religions (or more fundamentalist versions of those religions) have “pedestalized” suffering.
Not as an awareness or even an initiation. But almost more of a doctrine. Almost like an external “creature of thou shalt and must.”
And such literalism was put to foul and ill use. (i.e. constant punishment and self punishment as well)(Which just proves a complete misunderstanding)

And encourages that “unhealthy stewing,” rather than compassion, which is open ended. 

That is why your approach and the eastern approach and Joseph Campbell’s take are much healthier.

One last thing, a little off subject…You are a futurist. I have heard that word before but was curious about that philosophy, psychology.
Do you work from a standpoint of “probability?” I know there is a mathematical approach to that.
Or is this more akin to observation…and building ideas of what paths could be likely to unfold based on repeated patterns of observation of people and human behavior (psychologically and mythologically speaking?) *grin*