Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: THERE and BACK AGAIN,” with MythBlast author Stephen Gerringer”

jamesn.
Participant

Robert, your points are very well described, and yes, I agree with most of them. Yes, it is unfortunate that “The Round” that Daryl Sharp described as the Hero template has become concretized, which is something that comes up from others who feel this is somewhat confining to what “The Journey/Adventure” as process represents and serves, which is mainly the maturation of the individual psyche to know itself as it develops over time in service to its’ own: “reason for being”. To make sense of life when there is no reason for existence other than what the individual brings to it is one way to look at this; and indeed, Joseph emphasized this idea a lot. But he also made the distinction just as emphatically that he was not a Jungian, but a “comparatist” who was more interested in diffusion of cultural influences than Jung was when he pointed out how cultures of different histories and backgrounds but that were not geographically connected kept on showing the same hero qualities within the way these people responded to individual human trauma or crisis.

You bring up an interesting point about the future, and since this is Stephen’s topic and others have been adding input, I’m curious as to their views about this last section because as you mention it is an unwritten yet to be discovered future the Human Race is facing; and after seeing the recent Webb telescope pictures that have been coming back to earth, we now have indisputable confirmation the Universe is even bigger than we could have possibly imagined and the world’s eco systems are now becoming at risk. (I see Campbell’s version of The Hero as a constant, but that is just my view; at least for now as a species if the human race is going to be able to survive.) And yes, I know this thread has already covered a lot of ground.

You stated:

“So, what does this indicate? For Jung, he came to realize as a result of this dream and his reflections on it that “the highest truth is one and the same with the absurd.” Murder of the hero may be understood in other ways. Perhaps it means, as Hillman may see it, that the hero should no longer be the ideal in our time. Or, put a different way, there are numerous patterns to the hero, but this specific one may no longer be the ideal for the 20th (and 21st) century.

From an astrological hermeneutic, given Jung’s analysis of the two millennia since the birth of Christ in Aion (CW 9ii), we have some basis from which to make predictions on what is coming in the next astrological age of Aquarius. The Aquarian Age is one of the few in which the zodiac sign is a human. The Aquarian figure is one who pours water from a vase (the Water Bearer). Now, since Pisces was the age of the opposites (“hostile brothers”), Jung felt that Aquarius will constellate the problem of the union of opposites. Aquarius, according to Jung, “is the sign of the man whose ideal is the union, the oneness, of animal and divine,” where the Water Bearer symbolizes the Self. So, this is the possible path of human beings which addresses your issue of the need to recognize the dynamic process of becoming.”

Again, a wonderfully thoughtful post Robert, and thank you for your sensitivity in the way you presented it. These are difficult times for many of us these days, and considered discourse or dialogue is a precious gift.