Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: The New Old Age” with Monica Martinez, Ph.D.”

Thank you for the kind welcome, James!

You brought to the discussion topics of very high value!

I kept thinking about the leap in the civilizing process that you mentioned, from “Thou Shalt” to “What is your personal myth?” I imagine sometimes it must have been simpler for people to simply follow the pack back in, let´s say, the Middle Ages. Now we are invited to endlessly investigate what our individual perspective is. In fact, as you said when you mentioned Juan, it is very distressing to follow Ariadne’s thread by ourselfs. And yet, if we don´t dare to do so…

On the other hand, how fascinating it is when we get it right and get even a glimpse of what our personal myth is. Such a joy!

Just today I was thinking about the shadow you mention. This Sunday I was attending my monthly drawing course and the teacher said something that stunned me when I was trying (with a lot of effort, I must confess) to draw a simple little white box: “Everything that is solid casts a shadow”. It hit me like lightning: there are no separations. Let’s befriend our shadows, our dislikes, what we don’t like about ourselves. Only Peter Pan didn’t have one  shadow and Wendy kindly managed to sew one to his feet to make him feel real, complete.

I like Jung’s perspective of looking less at our past, our traumas (the “whys)”, and more forward (the “for what purpose”). According to Jung, the psyche does not have this notion of finitude that our physical body has. As long as we are dreaming our myth(s), life seems to go easier (or less difficult) to most people.

As an analyst, I try day by day to follow what Jung said: ‘Know all the theories, master all the techniques, but as you touch a human soul be just another human soul.” More and more I understand that this is what has a potential to heal.

Looking forward to keep sharing thoughts!

Monica Martinez

@monicamartinezpsi_en