Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: The New Old Age” with Monica Martinez, Ph.D.”

I wonder about the role that a kind of “active” participation with the world, before the world recognizes you as a full-grown and capable individual, regardless of your actual capabilities, plays on the predilections of the psyche.

Social action, especially the kind where you are engineering a mismanaged situation, in the hopes for a greater good seems to have a high whiplash on a 25-year old.

Perhaps because the age is stigmatized with making of bad decisions, incapability of self-accountability and general indifference to the “Realities” of society, it puts a young adult in the spot of “they-don’t-know-what-they-are-doing/talking-about”.

Thank you for this article; both my parents are about halfway thru middle age and I was disappointed that my mother does not look at aging as a beautiful and natural process; one that is freeing and not an end of “a life worth living”. Gentle as I may, I try to let her know that age is one’s power- that certain windows, certainly, do close; however it also ushers in the opening of many doors.

As a question to you, Dr. , do you think this process of “individuation” (I rather like to call it “growing up in mature child”) is at all apropos for one who has not reached the cusp of the “Golden Years” ?
How much social action should I commit to? What does a 25-year old who feels like an 83-year old do when coming up against the forces that hold up the walls that so clearly are destroying the experience of Life for many, many Beings (sentient + sans-)?