Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Riddle Me This,” with mythologist John Bucher, Ph.D.”

jamesn.
Participant

John, you are most kind in your remarks concerning my references about “The Play”; for yes, that was exactly what I was attempting to express that Stephen so eloquently quoted. (He always seems to know where these things are to pull them out of the ethers, and Robert’s quotes were a great example as well.)

From the Greek Tragedies to Shakespeare to television Soap Operas; to the narratives in great music or great Fairy Tales or the great novels; as Joseph once remarked to Bill Moyers about the spiritual aspects of our lives: “Yes, these things do live in us indeed”; and another where he says: “Just as you can see on a New York street corner, these eternal figures like: “Beauty and the Beast”; waiting for the light to change they do live in our daily lives waiting to be summoned forth from deep within both our “personal and collective unconscious” as we look inside our psyche when they come to greet us and inform us about who we are.

We are only here for a brief moment in time; and what we do with the time we have makes all the difference because as “Robin Williams” character in Dead Poets: “John Keating”, also reminded us when he talked about: “Carpe Diem”: “we are food for worms”; and this game or dance with eternity; “this joyful/sorrowful participation in the lives of others that we partake in “is” the privilege of existence we leave behind that we were here; and is our: “verse” that both Joseph and Keating to his students were talking about.

As I mentioned a moment ago; these insights that Joseph refers to can save lives because so many people are in extreme emotional pain because they have lost their: “Ariadne’s Thread” or personal “Umbilical Cord” to their inner life; and many of us are lost in our own: “House of Mirrors or Labyrinth” and our inner world is in complete chaos or disarray; and we must find our way out; whether by doing battle with our inner Dragons or Minotaur’s, or listening to our Wounded Child. And these eternal mythic themes refer to these inner struggles we all have to deal with no matter what culture, no matter what psychological crisis they come from. As Joseph mentioned they are in us and when we find out what is ticking in us, we can get straightened out.

(Of course, a little humor along the way helps us as well; especially in the dark forest where all these unrealized things await us.) One can say that is the mission of the Hero; or one can say this is the task of life itself; but I think no matter how one thinks about it; “The Call to Adventure” is there; like a track waiting to be discovered. As he mentioned once: “The Fates lead him who will; others they drag”. And a life well lived by listening to that summons addresses our: “Raison d’ e^tre”. (Sorry for the bad typo.)

Anyway, this seems to be what all these things are saying to me. Sorry to gush on so; but these themes that Joseph refers to have helped me so much to find my way out of my own personal crisis within my inner cave; and continues to do so; and I am so very grateful for it.

And again, thank you for your very kind and thoughtful encouragement.