Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Rocking New Year’s Eve,” with Professor Mark C.E. Peterson”

jamesn.
Participant

Let me second Johnsroost’s appreciation and add a couple of thoughts as possible compliments. One; I have nowhere near Stephen’s archeological background but let me offer a short clip from the JCF YouTube vault as support. Also, Joseph states on one occasion that although he agreed with many of the people he referenced over the years, one of his interests was that of “diffusion” concerning how many cultural similarities amazingly showed up in other cultures on different parts of the globe.

Now we could say that the migrations of many cultures over eons could be responsible for some of these similarities, such as crossing from east to west across the Bering Straits into Alaska and the Northern Hemisphere and spread southward. And we have the indigenous native peoples to consider; but without much in the way of actual records like the Europeans who came later except artifacts. But depending on how far back we look we have to ask where they originated from. And if we look even further southward to Central and South America, we must ask the same questions. The Aztec, Inca, and Mayan civilizations originated somewhere; but where? And although Anthropology is not my background either I think this begs the question in relation to this topic; “what were Joseph’s thoughts considering that he had this huge storehouse of knowledge he drew from?”

I remember reading when he gave Spengler’s “Decline of the West” to his friend John Steinbeck; and Steinbeck was stunned by this work and said it took him awhile to recover from what he read. And Joseph also mentioned this book had a huge impact on his world view as he contemplated the future of mankind looking ahead. So, I’m going to stop here and let others who are more qualified than I am share their thoughts on any of this; but I think this particular clip may hopefully add something to the conversation.

(Btw, Stephen that was an awesome entry you just shared.)