Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Tossing the Golden Ball,” with mythologist Catherine Svehla, Ph.D.”

Okay. I have found a link to Ron Perlman’s recitation. I was off on a few lines. So will re-quote.
Think Ron Koslow (show creator) and Don Davis (soundtrack composer) are credited along with Ron Perlman for recitation and Rilke for the poem.

I did learn something interesting as I found another YouTube clip on Perlman’s recitation. One commentator below said this excerpt is from letter 8 of Letters to a young poet (Rilke) And the commentator was of the opinion that it was one of the best translations because the other translations mess up the part about the dragons. All subjective of course (grin). But interesting none the less.

Here is the poem quoted properly! It adds even more!

”Excerpt from Quest/Letters to a Young Poet” Ranier Marie Rilke

How should we be able to forget those ancient myths that are at the beginnings of all peoples?

The myths about dragons who at the last moment turn into princesses?

Perhaps all the dragons of our lives are princesses, who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave.

Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something helpless that wants help from us.

So you must not be frightened if a sadness rises up before you larger than any you have ever seen.

If a restiveness like light and cloud shadows passes over your hands and over all you do.

You must think that something is happening with you.

That life has not forgotten you.

That it holds you in its hand.

It will not let you fall.

Ron Perlman’s Recitation of  Excerpt from Letters to a young poet