Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Mythologist John Bucher’s A Call to a Collective Adventure””

jamesn.
Participant

Stephen and jbonaduce, the above is a good counterpoint to the idea of self-governance established first by the Greek/Roman cultures from which the west gets much of its’ ethos. When the “Magna Carta” was signed, pretty much defanging the “Divine Right of Kings”, and the forerunner of the American Declaration of Independence and The Constitution with its’ Bill of Rights; this became a blueprint for many countries that followed up to today. However, as Joseph pointed out the Mythos of the Individual; (i.e., The Hero and what informs him or her), owes no allegiance to a government or a religion but to their own personal mythos so that the idea of being bound except by these older ideas of government alone goes out the window so to speak. Theocracy for example no longer fits the planet’s modern requirements because the idea of: “no God but mine” is just not workable where so many cultures are going to have to get along to survive. And the planet’s ability to feed itself and have enough clean water to drink and clean air to breath will be paramount for populations to endure.

When we think of a new lens or window toward the future of what these growing pains may look like the view of the earth from the moon serves as a reminder that the human race is still a work in progress. This is dramatically visible when reading the daily news feeds on the internet with constant updates on Covid and now the new crisis in Ukraine where entire populations are being affected along with the coming climate challenge from fossil fuels, is forced to consider the term: “New Normal” is no longer just an idea, it’s already here screaming for our attention.

If there is a challenge for a “Collective Adventure” looking ahead for the planet surely this is it. As Joseph mentions the individual must look inward as well as outward for the answers to the questions that beckon from the collective as well as from one’s inner most being. When we witness the horrific carnage of huge numbers of individuals being turned into refugees from either political conflicts or natural environmental disasters such as violent storms, floods, raging forest fires or droughts, losing everything they have one must consider: “what if this happened to me”; what would keep me going without cracking up in the midst of such total devastation.

(This to me is the coming storm where Joseph’s understanding of the relationship of the individual to their own mythos is so critical.) The old models are no longer relevant, although one can say a religion as most people think of it would suffice if interpreted metaphorically instead of concretely; even though it might be understood as a “Thou Shalt” system; Joseph also saw the coming critical confrontations between different religions as with the Middle East where allegiance to one interpretation of what we think of as God over another brings even more conflict threatening possible annihilation of one form or another just like conflict between political doctrines.

These are just a few considerations of hero challenges for both collective and personal or individual journeys or adventures that may lie ahead for both the constantly mutating Covid, or the next virus after that, and the surrounding context of Ukraine and their global implications are very much on our minds at the moment. And the human suffering that is being caused and where it is pointing is a huge concern for us all.

(John, I hope this fits in with your idea for this topic for it seems very much: “A Call to a Collective Adventure”.)