Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: The Air We Breathe

Richard Sumpter
Participant

Jamesn,

It seems to me that JC responded to Bill Moyers with something like:  “Myth won’t tell you how to change the world.  It will tell you how to live in it.”  And “A vital person vitalizes the world he lives in.”
But I’m not sure how to most effectively operationalize this.  Like you, I don’t advocate “que sera, sera,” but at 82 years of age I realize I’m on the downhill side of the day, and like Campbell, the myths tell me how to let go.  “It is not life and wealth and power that enslave men, but the cleaving to life and wealth and power.” -Buddha (c. 563-483 BCE)

I’m also guided by the Dahl Lama:  “When asked what surprised him most about humanity, the Dalai Lama answered: “Man.  Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.  Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.  And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

I hope this doesn’t sound like I’m resigned to the status quo.  In my spirit I’m not; in my body I find I have more mass than energy.

Thanks for pushing out the topic.

Pilgrim 1