Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: The Hour Yields, with Mythologist Joanna Gardner, Ph.D.

Jameson,  Marianne & All,

Your appreciation of Dr. Gardner’s article is just as elegant as the original Mythblast article.

Jameson you wrote,”  what moved me the most was the personal aspect; which reminded me of: Dorthey and her companions in the “Wizard of Oz”; each had their gifts to bestow; but it was Dorthey’s steadfast devotion to her quest that in the end took her home.” This resonated with me Jameson — steadfast devotion is indeed the still point!  That steadfast devotion, that still point is the Nirvana. As  Joe Campbell said, “Nirvana is right here, in the midst of the turmoil of life. It is the state you find when you are no longer driven to live by compelling desires, fears, and social commitments, when you have found your center of freedom and can act by choice out of that. Voluntary action out of this center is the action of the bodhisattvas -” (Power of Myth).

Marianne,

So very  beautifully expressed, and immensely enjoyed your piece too.  You wrote, ” Suspend or suspension shares the root word with suspense. When we hear something that emits that sense of timelessness, that stillness, when we entertain imaginally our memories of our loved ones who have passed on before us, we are is a mode of suspension on the bridge or suspense—as we go from here to there and back again.”  Is this like the aesthetic arrest that Joyce discusses, which most people like myself have understood through Campbell’s explanation of the same.  “The aesthetic experience is a simple beholding of the object….you experience a radiance. You are held in aesthetic arrest.” Could this suspension or sense of timelessness be quite like Joyce’s aesthetic arrest?