Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Universal Consciousness/Universal “Sam”

This may be a wander…so heads up ahead of time.
I was thinking about Universal Consciousness. Yes it’s not quite defined the same way as “collected Unconscious,” but it still feels very relevant.
Other ideas and words Universal Consciousness conjures besides the usual ideas of love and peace are Awareness, Compassion and Connection.
And also synchronicity. Everyone probably at some point has those synchronous moments in their lives and often those involve other people.

I think for me that can definitely go on the Aha! Scale where you feel “connected,” to something much larger than yourself. Yet think it is just as possible to look up at the stars with or without friends and feel that beautiful finite moment wrapped up in something infinite shared by all on Space Ship earth. (Love that metaphor!)

It reminds me of Campbell’s reaction to the earth from moon view.
Not this group or that group…but the whole planet.

One thing I’ve always found interesting is Joe Campbell once championing the idea of “smaller groups,” going into the forest. And yes it might sound as though it contradicts what’s said above.
I just thought it was more about less chatter and noise going into a forest. Or even that larger-groups tend to create in-groups/religion and in-fighting and smaller ones might be more open to Consciousness/Universal awareness  and each other. But that’s probably a slightly different subject.

I have an opinion the reason Campbell and Jung would have not chosen to use the term Universal Consciousness is because it invites the infinite.
I’m sure they would be aware of the infinite, but for the sake of studying the shared consciousness or unconscious, a “Collected Unconscious,” works much better (even if it also points beyond itself.).  It makes sense that it is the best scientific way to describe this “amorphous shared human state.” In one sense it’s definitely “collected” because we are all a part of that…have that in common.
Universal is probably less definable, since the Universe is larger than our solar system alone. But as a metaphor of experience call me purple,  I find it ideal!
I’ve seen the way music brings people together. I’ve seen people from all backgrounds and cultures come to celebrate and play music together…Beatles…Robert Mirabal so many more….

Those synchronous moments we all share with each other? Or even seeing wildlife. There is definitely a “more than me,” feeling.

But what I find most interesting about that is how often it includes spontaneity or just being in the moment!

This was why, I was carried away with the Parzeval essays earlier this year!
When he is listening to his inner nature that spontaneity occurs.
It feels like the individuation process is as much about being open to the spontaneous and possible as it is to working something out from the “intellectual side alone.” Balance? (Grin)

That’s why the word awareness seems to fit for me. A balance between inner nature, intuition and intellect.
There has to be some alert and grounding on the journey to not step on snakes in the grass…(heh heh…well all psyche 3rd eye bites aside)

So now will post a third.