Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: The archetypal realm of: story; personal myth and what they have to teach us

jamesn.
Participant

Robert; thank you for your patience; and to re-emphasize my earlier post I definitely have not forgotten you but have been working on my answer to this for 3 days now. What I have been trying to construct is a response that makes the connection between your: “stream-of consciousness” narrative; and the (cigar box) as a vehicle of communication used in the film.

So think of it this way; the box represents a container of symbols or images used to convey meaning; but without words. Each symbol represents an experience of meaning which is part of a larger context; (just like your stream-of-subject matter is related to the above topic). So that this expression; (which you sometimes refer to as: “tangents”); has a relationship to something deeper in the subconscious for you than just a fact or surface display of something without any interior connection to you.

These components remind you of something which presents images and symbols of connection to a context of something. Now is this meaning you draw subjective or objective perception or both?; and the point of what I’m trying to establish is this is also the “language” of dreams as well as waking consciousness. And metaphors are vehicles for these non-verbal things; just like words or verbal communication are also. Myths as Joseph describes them are metaphors that point beyond something; to a context that informs them. So that an image or a symbol or a metaphor is a language the psyche uses to communicate with itself; like in a dreams for instance.

For example the: “standing on a whale fishing for minnows in this large Ocean or Sea of meaning” metaphor Joseph refers to can be used in religion (as well as) a subject within normal conversation if applied in that way. But Joseph also makes the distinction that: “life itself is without meaning; we bring the meaning to it”; so that when I say: “this cigar box is full of things that have meaning for me; these things may not make any sense to you unless they are presented within a certain context; (i.e. in the movie); as metaphors of a larger story which itself reveals with the relationship between Boo Radley and Scout as one of the vehicles of it’s larger overall message.

(There a number of these powerful influences going on within this storyline; such as Tom Robinson, and particularly Atticus Finch who is represented as a “moral force”.) But I’ll leave those topics and any further Jungian parlance to others to address for now since my point at the moment has to do with my original post topic; (which to be clear); has to do with “Archetypes” and how they affect us and the narrative of our own individual (personal) story or myth. Now we are beginning to talk about emotion and feelings which are clues to this bridge between our inner and outer worlds which provide the context necessary to illustrate my point – which is the main subject I was trying to establish; not outer surface display which we normally confuse as reality; but what (informs) this inner world we inhabit but we are not necessarily aware of.

To take this point a bit further there are 3 Robin Williams movies; which for me; address certain important themes related to this subject; “The Fisher King; The Dead Poet’s Society; and Good Will Hunting”; which all have to do with archetypal influence on the individual and Joseph’s Hero in different ways. But for now I’ll stop here and see where this takes us. (I hope this rather clumsy attempt helps to add some clarity to your questions Robert.)