Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: The archetypal realm of: story; personal myth and what they have to teach us

First a thank you to Stephen for responding to my post on breath[e]. The source of life, like water, food, etc. this act and might I suggest noble act [Campbell in The Power of Myth states that the very act of being born-having to breath o one’s own is heroic] is so oft perfunctory and we forget what is involved in doing this act. I think that is why I find the sensibility of the yogis and Zen masters  helpful in brining me into communion with this thing I do at every moment in the day. I am and not am in control of this act-more often not in control, but my ego makes me think otherwise.

Here is where I find connection to the two recent mythblast post by Bradley and John. I think it is another aspect in life where we might give some thought to its place, its abuses, but also its necessity in coming to understand ourselves. This I think has some important connections to Campbell’s work -he gives us stories that involve aspects of this thing called ego-John in his post today talks about it in its aspect of mentor-one should know what gifts might be shared -we need have our sense of self and what we can bring to a person, community, etc. The old tigre however, understands the need to sublimate that ego enough that sharing presents no threat to his worth, but rather provides food to the young tigre that will help him find himself. I love this story and I think it would help to nourish a community of people run amuck with this ego that produces so much damage as we witness today, yesterday and in the future if w do not change.

Just to be fair, certainly women also need such figures -and the beauty of the story is that it can be read from a genderless point of view. Ah-yes, the old myths can speak to us, even if we are in the process of creating a new one-the mandate Campbell left us. I think that tigre never lost his majestic stature even if his body was no longer majestic. Rather there is a beauty in decline-honourable and loving. In a country where decline is feared, desperately held at bay to the point of patheticness, we might consider the old tigre and  what he still has to offer-we might consider the myths that were dreamed before us and what they might offer us in guiding the writing of this new myth. I sense the need to consult them again since at the moment we have no myth and perhaps they can fill that liminal space between what was and what is to come.