Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: The Editorial Function of Myth

jamesn.
Participant

One last thing I meant to mention concerning the 5th editorial function that myth is suppose to serve. Michael Lambert; who served as moderator on the old CoaHO created a special thread on discourse where he explored some of these issues in tremendous detail; and one of the points he continually brought up was that of the “little editor” we all carry in our head that filters anything that it’s exposed to. This editor decodes data it receives from the other systems in the psyche which is expressed by certain reflexes into different forms; emotional, mental, physical, and a response is triggered. Now to me this “little editor” would play a huge role in some of what we have been talking about; and what first struck me so profoundly about the connection between our sense of what we experience and what happens after that within our psyche.

An addendum; I realized after reading over this rather confusing collection of material perhaps an example or two in story form might help. So let’s envision the “little editor” is a hero character thrown into some kind of mystical situation where there are all kinds of different creatures and characters and cultures this (editor) must “assimilate” to navigate this strange new landscape he or she finds themselves in. Well; because there are many “once upon a time” tales to choose from you could start off with fantasy fairy tales like: “Alice in Wonderland” or the “Wizard of Oz”; or you could look at Science Fiction like: “Star Trek” or “Star Wars” or the mythical world of Tolkein’s: “Hobbit” or “Lord of the Rings” trilogy; or any number of others. But my point has to do with (assimilation of a wide range or assortment of data to put into a coherent whole); the “little editor” does this by “instinct”; (How is that?); it’s because it serves a certain “function”.