Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: The origin of the term The Hero’s Journey””

jamesn.
Participant

Tiago, I happen to think there might be something of interest to you in: “Joseph Campbell Correspondence 1927-1987”; where in the chapter: “Overture – About Joseph Campbell – On the Occasion of His Centennial” on page, xxxi:

“His first, full length, solo authorial endeavor, The Hero with a Thousand Faces (Bollingen Series XVII: 1949), was published to acclaim and brought him the first of numerous awards and honors: The National Institute of Arts and Letters Award for Contributors to Creative Literature. In this study of the myth of the hero, Campbell posits the existence of a Monomyth (a word he borrowed from James Joyce), a universal pattern that is the essence of, and common to, heroic tales in every culture. While outlining the basic stages of this mythic cycle, he also explores common variations in the hero’s journey, which he argues, is an operative metaphor, not only for an individual, but for a culture as well. The Hero would prove to have a major influence on generations of creative artists—from the Abstract Expressionists in the 1950s to contemporary film makers today—and would in time, come to be acclaimed as a classic.”

(That’s all it said word for word that I could find, but I am no research scholar, and the book was published by the Joseph Campbell Foundation in 2019. It’s over 400 pages that tracks much of his career if you are not familiar with it, but I hope this little bit of information is helpful for your query.)