Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Mythology is psychology misread.””

It is interesting to consider the other myths emerging from a very different experience-that of non-western cultures. I am a professor of medieval lit and I thought about [in my relationship to Campbell’s work which has guided my own studies ] my encounter with the works of the medieval period as being able on one hand to articulate a western and ecclesiastical sensibility and on the other reject it and articulate rather something more genuine-more expressive of the human experience outside of organized church and society. I find this especially in the very early medieval works like Beowulf or the dream vision poems -i.e. The Dream of the Rood or The Wanderer. The psychological aspect is the dream itself-that is the parts of ourselves that are articulated artistically are for me the connection to the thinking of Jung and by extension Campbell help to understand them more deeply. Here is where I get a richer experience of engaging with these works and where I can give my students some insights into the value of reading such works.

Beyond Jung, it has been helpful to read the conversations and pieces contributed to these forums in understanding myths from wider perspective. It gives me some impetus to rethink what I think I know about the works I have taught for some years now-refresh my approach to what I teach about them and how to give them insight into why they can still be relevant in our time. I earlier posted something about as Campbell pointed out the need for a new mythology for out time-I still after reading the responses to my post, feel there is something in the myths of ancient times and the literature that followed , that can be integrated into what kind of new myth we might create today. I am still interested in trying to think about how this might evolve.