Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Finding your story in a time of uncertainty

James.

Your post is so wonderful. You bring so many of the points made prior in others’ posts and find meaning in them in reference to Campbell’s works. I would in no way consider this a “meager” contribution to this thread.

You write, “this bridge between these 2 worlds that we must learn to navigate; and “our story” is the way we make sense of this journey from the: “womb to the tomb” without cracking up and continue with Campbell’s concepts and give us the source–you have a way of telling us what has come “straight from the horse’s mouth regardless of what the topic is, finding an “application” to Campbell’s works. For all those who do that, such as Shaheda and Stephen, I very much admire how you all seem to do this with ease, almost like Campbell-speak is a second language to you. You continued,

People look for meaning; and as Joseph points out on page 16; “Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning”. So that our dreams, metaphysical, and spiritual insights give us clues to theses realms and messages of consciousness to help us to get in touch with not only with what we are doing but where we need to go to answer these inner needs; yet the outer world is one of killing and eating and survival that we must come to terms with throughout our allotted time we exist.

I like how you bring up the other arts too as vehicles for that feeling of meaning in being alive! Some people write or perform music, others do visual arts, some dance, some make films, and some find meaning in walking through the woods, bird watching or star-gazing, swimming in the lake, or travel to exotic places. I think too that while many people dislike their jobs and wish they were doing something else for vocation (finding/living their vocational bliss!), many people do live their dream-job and find meaning in teaching or the medical field, etc.

This pandemic as you say is bringing many people to re-think their vocations, whether in surroundings or an overhaul to do something else entirely, and perhaps something they have always wanted to do. Several people I know left their jobs to finally launch their own business. Some Campbell quote that comes to my mind in regards to this time are “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are” and ““Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before.”–The Power of Myth.

Jung wrote of similar circumstances that people in mid-life often encounter, when at that point in life they look back over their path in life thus far and vocation and feel there is something more meaningful to them they have always felt the call or the tug to do but never had or made time while they were busy at another job.

It is such an odd time with this little to no contact with other human beings, and one way to reach out with the arts is social media and YouTube. So many musicians I know have had gigs cancelled all last summer as the venues shut down and shared their performances on social media. So true that this pandemic has changed most everything. To do something new is one way many people will be working with the shadow–that on top of the social isolation alone. I like your mentions and reminders of the “inner world” we are all facing now. In our social isolation, perhaps many of us are more alone with our thoughts than usual and for many people lack of social connection brings depression to various degrees in each of us. Some of us thought we would be more creative in our isolation away from our “regular” jobs with more time to write or compose songs or paint, while others find their creativity when with other writers or artists and able to discuss their work or the works of the greats over the centuries. I wonder how many new Facebook groups have arisen at this time. Perhaps the collective is telling us that we need self-exploration at this time and soulful creativity in the world; it is certainly making so many people as you say go inward, into the inner life. I coulld not possibly add anything more than you already wrote about–in a sense my whole response is merely in agreement with you, so other than saying “I agree so much with you,” I really did not have to write all this and am taking up space here! In a nutshell, it is wonderful that you have reminded us about the inner life and perhaps finding not only the Shadow but our creativity in there–sometimes they go hand in hand, and Jung did say that not everything in the Shadow is negative and dark–like Campbell saying that in the cave is the treasure–often a creative work.

Best,

Mary Ann

I really enjoyed your post.