Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Myth

Hi Lynn!

I love Campbell’s quotes on myth, poetry, and dreams all coming from the same realm. I also like this one:

“Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth–penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.”

― Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

Often, the word “myth” is used to mean something false as in “Oh, no, that’s not true–that’s just a myth.” I find that to be a rather sad misapplication that sometimes leads to a misinterpretation of of the study of mythology. Some people seem to back away from mythology because of thinking that it is “false” and therefore superfluous and unnecessary rather than being at the central heart of matters. Perhaps too the words then around that “core” or “center” are a matter of style–of the poetry in the myth-telling or story. One might be minimal and another full of detail, yet both are full.

Nice to meet you,’
Mary Ann