Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Hello from the underworld of archetypes and myth 👋

Happy Day, Drew!

Welcome to Conversations of a Higher Order, where you clearly bring so much to the table! I enjoyed poking around your website, and appreciate the blend of modalities you use – and especially the recognition that myth is written in our bodies.

Myth and the body. Myth and nature. Our mind makes myth not from its own rational programs, but in response to suggestions from the body as to what’s needed.

Joseph Campbell, in Myth & the Body: A Colloquy with Joseph Campbell, by Stanley Keleman

More audio lectures have been added over the last three years, by the way. Joe left behind roughly a thousand hours of lectures, many on cassette tapes from the seventies and eighties, many on reel-to-reel tapes from the the late 1950s and 1960s, and even some wire spool recordings from earlier. Can’t just feed those into a computer; heck, for hundreds of hours of lectures the equipment to play them is difficult to find, much less digitize them – along with the difficulty of finding audio wizards with the skills to know how to use that equipment.

Most of those have been digitized now, which proved an expensive and time-consuming process; though only a small quantity (maybe a touch over 10%) have good enough quality for commercial release (and even those have to carefully mixed), the rest  are available, states and hisses and all, in the Joseph Campbell Collection at the Opus Archives and Research Center on the campus of the Pacifica Graduate Institute.  If you’ve listened to all the audio lectures that were up on Spotify or Pandora, you do indeed have a pretty comprehensive grasp of the depth and breadth of Campbell’s mythological perspective.  (Over the last three years I believe lectures in Series II, Volume 6  and Series III Volume I have been released).

I’m so glad you are here. Feel free to jump into any ongoing conversation, or start a topic of your own. The FAQ, which opens with an overview of how to navigate the forums, is pinned to the top of each forum category (along with forum guidelines) for easy reference.

Namaste!