Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Talking with filmmaker Patrick Takaya Solomon about Finding Joe””

Thanks for your kind words @jamesn! Your question about bliss and blisters is great because it keeps coming up in my life as a filmmaker.

I think the definition of bliss has changed for me over the years.  I certainly had a more romantic vision of what “following my bliss” meant at age 25 than I do now at age 53.   Looking back though, my bliss was what kept me going despite my blisters.

As an example my son is 21 and an aspiring musician. A classic example of “following bliss”. However, he’s now realizing that actually making a living as a musician is much more difficult than he thought and he shares his doubts about being successful from time to time.  He’s getting blisters.  There’s a lot of recording, writing, fighting with bandmates… and now a pandemic so no live music.  Music may be his bliss but how much is he willing to suffer the hard work and set backs (as occurs in any bliss following adventure) in order gain a measure of success??  How much is anyone willing to suffer blisters?

I see Campbells frustration at people who mis-interpreted the words “follow your bliss”.  It’s easy to twist those words to justify pleasure seeking behavior. However, I still think it’s a great place to start.  Whether interpreted as Campbell intended or not the phrase “follow your bliss” has the power to get someone started on a path, even if it’s the wrong path.

I’m not sure if that answered your question but that is what has been coming up for me around “follow your bliss”.